This position is part of a newly-formed R&D Design Group within Stryker’s Sustainability division in Tempe, Arizona. The primary focus of this team is product design and modeling, reverse engineering, DFM, test and production fixture conceptualization, design, fabrication oversight and assembly, and rapid prototyping. This individual will work with a small team of design engineers to support design activities primarily within the R&D function, but will at times within the broader NPD portfolio.
- Support investigation and root cause analysis of test anomalies, customer complaints and field returns using engineering analysis techniques and problem-solving methodologies.
- Reverse engineer medical devices by translating 3D scan point cloud data into parametric 3D CAD models.
- Assist R&D Engineers with test method/fixture ideation and development.
- Work with sourcing partners to drive procurement and vendor development, and to facilitate fabrication and assembly of R&D test fixtures.
- Design moderate to complex R&D test fixtures, manual and semi-automated, to characterize medical device performance and structural integrity.
- Create 2D drawing packages of test fixtures and medical device assemblies and components per appropriate ASME drawing standards.
- Oversee 3D scanning and 3D printing activities.
- Design/Develop and create 3D parametric models of medical device components from proof of concept to production-ready designs, including DFM considerations for injection molding, machining, and 3D printing.
- Design moderate to complex production test fixtures and processing equipment, manual and semi-automated, for inline testing, disassembly, and assembly.
- Conduct geometric comparison studies to establish component interchangeability.
- Determine and implement design approaches and parameters and conduct feasibility studies on new designs, analyze test equipment to establish operating data, conduct experimental tests, and evaluate the results. Lead and/or participate in design review meetings.
Qualification & Experience:
- Good working knowledge of engineering materials and selection for design, coating/plating technologies, plastic part design, mechanism design, design for testability, and advanced manufacturing technologies.
- Experience with LabVIEW and MATLAB programming preferred.
- Familiarity with 3D scanners and 3D printers preferred.
- PC Literate (word processing, spreadsheets, database) and strong knowledge of project management tools are essential.
- Bachelor of Science; in Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, BioMedical or Masters in related discipline, preferred
- Experience with Geomagic DesignX reverse engineering software preferred.
- Knowledge and application of tolerance analysis techniques, GD&T principles, statistical tools/techniques, and DFM considerations.
- Understanding of basic principles and application of inspection methods, metrology tools, Gage R&R, and Measurement System Analysis.
- Experience with traditional component machining methods and fabrication/assembly best practices.
- Design for injection molding and 3D printing experience preferred.
- Working knowledge of ASME Y14.1, Y14.3, Y14.5, Y14.24, Y14.35, Y14.38, and Y14.100 drawing standards for complex drawing creation and interpretation.
- Familiarity with ISO13485, or experience working in a regulated industry, strongly desired.
- Must have the ability to work with and assemble small objects and component parts. Ability to operate small hand tools and inspection equipment.
- 2+ years of work experience
- Familiarity with Product Data Management applications for engineering configuration management.
- 5,000 hours minimum mechanical design experience with SOLIDWORKS parametric 3D modeling/2D drawings, creating complex assembly and component designs.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Phoenix, AZ, US
Application Deadline: N/A