As a Bid Manager, you will lead the planning and management of the bid process and lead a small team of planners, engineers and commercial specialists to create compelling and economic proposals which enhance our reputation and deliver profitable work. The roles require good communication and interpersonal skills as you will work with a range of collaborative disciplines across the business to understand and deliver solutions to the customer.
You will be working on bids for projects to design, manufacture, deliver, fit-out, and test traction power equipment, and, traction power or distribution substations at 650V DC / 25kV AC, 33kV AC on the UK rail network.
- Create reports for bid governance, finalise offers and submit via client portals.
- Prepare enquiry data, collate resource / materials / 3rd party estimates and add commercial elements including inflation, risk and margin.
- Analyse current and historical data to benchmark costs and competitiveness.
- With the support of the Tendering Manager, develop pricing strategies which increase competitiveness of the bid, according to award criteria, whilst maximizing commercial position.
- Work with colleagues in Siemens Rail Electrification to further develop and update the estimating tool which captures standardised costs.
- Preparation of tender deliverables.
- Creation of reports for presentation / reviews / governance as required.
- Produce / populate customer specific pricing documentation.
- Lead bid meetings both internal and client based.
- Attend relevant training courses to expand knowledge in railway technology, estimating and bid writing as required
- With the support of a Project Technical Manager obtain inputs from subject matter experts for inclusion in cost model.
Qualification & Experience:
- Able to interrogate documents to identify scope and quantity of works.
- Comfortable with operating to short deadlines whilst maintaining accuracy.
- Able to challenge own and others inputs to ensure competitiveness of pricing.
- Previous experience within a project related engineering environment.
- This role may suit an engineering or commercial discipline applicant wishing to move into bidding.
- Strong computing skills especially with MS Excel, MS Word & MS Powerpoint.
- High level of financial and commercial acumen.
- Experience in contract forms inc NEC and NR suite of contracts.
- Previous knowledge of estimating in an engineering project environment.
- Must be flexible and able to work under own initiative.
- Excellent communication skills both internally and externally.
- Experience of tendering work within the rail sector would be advantageous.
- Able to manage small teams to deliver bids to quality, time and budget.
- A degree or HND in an engineering or business-related discipline, or wide design / construction experience in rail power supply.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Glasgow, GB
Application Deadline: N/A