The Senior Data Engineer is a fully participating member of a cross functional Enterprise Data & Analytics team working autonomously on technology development and problem resolution. The role involves the design, development, implementation and maintenance of analytical solutions and products that support the Emirates Group businesses, using Big Data technologies and cloud-based data lake and data warehouse solutions.
– Lead technical design and build for small to medium d solutions in a team. Translate functional and non-functional data and analytics requirements into fit for purpose technical design. Ensure solution performance, business edge cases and security related issues are addressed while developing software.
– Debug issues of complexity, resolve blockers and follow design documents with minimal or no supervision.
– Complete data engineering coding tasks on problems of moderate to high scope and complexity. Demonstrate good coding principles. Conduct code review for peers. Ensure solutions adhere to published data privacy and cybersecurity principles.
– Operate with a data-driven mindset. Help translate data and analytics requirements into data solutions based on the approved technical designs. Assist with data analysis activities such as source system analysis, data modelling, data dictionary collection, data profiling and source-to-target mapping to ensure solutions deliver on business needs.
– Work on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. Demonstrate good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
– Work with senior and lead data engineers in the technical design process by contributing in the analysis of data application, data integration, large data storage or data pipeline requirements.
– Update data inventories and registries as required to keep metadata and data lineage up-to-date, following agreed Data Governance standards, guidelines and principles.
– Carry out unit testing independently. Troubleshoot issues, and fix defects that are of moderate to high complexity.
– Shadow senior and lead data engineers on design and architecture components, and collaborate with members of the cross-functional team to identify areas of inefficiency and propose solutions.
– Adhere to published coding standards, guidelines and best practices and contribute to Data Engineering Playbooks and other data technology blueprints.
Qualifications & Experience
– Degree or honors (12+3 or equivalent) In a relevant field such as Computer Science, Computational Mathematics, Computer Engineering or Software Engineering. Specialization or electives in a Data & Analytics field (e.g. Data Warehousing, Data Science, Business Intelligence) a nice-to-have.
– Minimum 2+ years of development, testing and support experience in the analytic applications such as Data Lake and Data Warehouse (preferably using the Big Data stack and Microsoft Azure cloud infrastructure)
– 2+ years Data Engineering (Fewer years experience will be considered for Masters degree holders)
– Experience with batch or real-time data ingestion experience with coding pipelines that handle massive quantities of data (structured and unstructured), securely and in a timely fashion
– Understanding of data architecture concepts such as data modelling, Big Data storage, Lambda architecture, data vault and dimensional modelling nice-to-have
– Understanding on integration with source systems able to load operational systems data into a single data platform using data integration tools
– Experience scheduling jobs that can be monitored efficiently and ensure data quality
– Ability to conduct unit testing
– Strong SQL querying skills required
– Airline industry experience a nice-to-have
– Strong ability to conduct data analysis (e.g. source system identification, data dictionary / metadata collection, data profiling, source-to-target mapping) is preferred
– Operates with a You Code It, You Own It mindset (i.e. supports the products they build)
– Demonstrated problem-solver able to design and document solutions independently
– Team player able to collaborate with others to remove blockers, solve complex design problems and debug/resolve issues
– Able to deliver solutions (and associated value) interatively
– Is accountable and displays positive attitude
– Self-starter and has passion for exploring and learning new technologies, especially those in the Enterprise Data & Analytics space
Hadoop, Spark, Scala, Hive, H-Base, Sqoop, Oozie, Apache Nifi, Airflow, HDFS, ADLS (Gen 2), Azure Data Factory (ADF), DataBricks, Kafka, Elasticsearch, AVRO / PARQUET file formats
Data Analysis, Modelling and Reporting
Snowflake, SQL, Data Vault 2.0, MicroStrategy, Power BI
Microsoft Azure and Cloudera technology stacks
Integration and Messaging
Streaming (e.g. Spark Streaming), SnapLogic, TIBCO, Kafka,
GIT Bitbucket, Azure DevOps, Jenkins, JIRA, Confluence
Java, Selenium, AppDynamics, HP Load Runner, Jmeter, Python, Automation Anywhere
Salary & Benefits
Join us in Dubai and enjoy an attractive tax-free salary and travel benefits that are exclusive to our industry, including discounts on flights and hotels stays around the world. You can find out more information about our employee benefits in the Working Here section of our website www.emirates.com/careers. Further information on what’s it like to live and work in our cosmopolitan home city, can be found in the Dubai Lifestyle section.
To apply for this job please visit www.monstergulf.com.