Shopify is now permanently remote and working towards a future that is digital by default. Learn more about what this can mean for you.
Shopify is the leading cloud-based, multi-channel commerce platform. Merchants can use the software to design, set up, and manage their stores across multiple sales channels, including web, mobile, social media, marketplaces, and brick-and-mortar locations. The platform also provides merchants with a powerful back-office and a single view of their business. Shopify was engineered for reliability and scale, making enterprise-level technology available to businesses of all sizes. Shopify powers over 1,000,000 businesses in over 175 countries — and here’s how we’ve been helping more merchants survive, thrive, and navigate the impacts of COVID-19.
Shopify is on a fast-moving mission to make the best products for merchants, buyers, and partners around the globe — and engineers play a vital role in building that future. Here are just some of the stories from the engineering teams who build and scale Shopify.
Intrigued? That’s great! We’re looking for Senior Software Developers to join our team, and maybe you’re the person we’re looking for!
At Shopify, Backend Developers have a passion for solving tough problems with performant code and work in teams that ship “on-quality” instead of “on-time”. Our teams deploy new code many times a day, and our production scale is massive. We’re talking over 1 million online stores, and hundreds of millions of requests a day. Thousands of entrepreneurs will see your work within seconds – a difficult but incredibly rewarding responsibility. Shopify is the largest Ruby on Rails application in the world and we’re a big part of the Rails community. We’re constantly improving our codebase to make it even better.
- Collaborating with other designers and developers
- Creating beautiful and fast code that improves our code base in meaningful ways
- Using test-driven development to write well-tested code
- Fixing bugs fast and taking your time to solve hard problems well
- Contributing back to the open source community
- Experience using technologies and frameworks like (but not limited to) some of our most-used languages — Ruby on Rails, GraphQL, Java/JEE, Node.js, PHP, Python — is an asset, but not required. Don’t have experience with many of them? No problem — deep experience with any object-oriented language and willingness to learn our tech stack goes a long way. (Also: Check out our StackShare here.)
- Curiosity and passion to constantly learn new things; Shopify changes fast, and we need the people who work here to be able to change and learn fast too
- Experience with relational databases and SQL
- You’ve mentored teammates on new ways to deepen their technical craft
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort. Dan is an actual real live person (👋🏻) and is looking forward to learning more about you and your interest in joining our team.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
Interested, but not ready to apply?
Join the Shopify Talent Community to learn more about us, while you polish up your resume: https://www.shopify.com/careers/2021
To apply for this job please visit jobs.smartrecruiters.com.