Portsmouth City Council
The Integrated Transport Unit (ITU) transports approximately 650 pupils daily aged 2-25 years old to schools, colleges and contact centres. Some pupils have Special Educational Needs and some pupils are Looked After Children in the care of Portsmouth City Council. We use several different forms of transport – minibuses, wheelchair accessible minibuses and taxis. The majority of the pupils go to school in Portsmouth but some go further afield for instance Fareham, Stubbington, Waterlooville, and Southampton. We currently employ around 120 passenger assistants to help is deliver this service.
- Have a good geographic knowledge of the Portsmouth area, as on occasions you may need to direct the driver.
- Be reliable and be able to work at short notice as and when required.
- Be physically able to carry out the full range of duties, which include moving heavy wheelchairs & bending in confined spaces to assist pupils into their seats.
- Have a good rapport with children and understand the needs of Looked After Pupils and those associated with Special Educational Needs.
- Be able to work alone or in a small team with minimal supervision.
- Remain calm and clear headed in an emergency and have a practical common sense approach to problems.
- Live in PO1-PO6 post code areas as most pupils we transport live in Portsmouth.
have the ability to converse at ease with customers and provide advice in accurate spoken English is essential for the post
Company: Portsmouth City Council
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Plymouth, GB
Application Deadline: N/A