Air Products (Middle East) FZE
Job Description and Qualifications
NEOM Green Hydrogen Company (NGHC)
Air Products has entered into an agreement with ACWA Power and NEOM (all 3 have equal ownership) to form a joint venture – NEOM Green Hydrogen Company (NGHC) for the development of a $5 billion green hydrogen-based ammonia production facility sited in NEOM and additional investments across the NEOM region. This is based on renewable energy principles and the project will integrate over four gigawatts of renewable solar, wind and storage power. It will produce green ammonia for export to global markets. The project is scheduled to be onstream in 2025.
The Technology & Innovation Director will lead and provide technology expertise in the essential technology aspects, such as renewable power generation, electrolysis, ammonia production, and process cycle development/integration. They will actively seek out new technology offerings, novel equipment and the latest concepts relating to Green Hydrogen. They will use this knowledge to keep NGHC Leadership team informed on developing and improving the operating facility through its lifecycle and to develop our commercial approach to new opportunities. They will support the work of operations, government relations, communications, and the commercial area to ensure the voice of NGHC is heard during the NGHC Green Hydrogen project development and commercial operation.
NATURE & SCOPE
The Technology & Innovation Director will be accountable for the Technology management and development for NGHC’s Green Hydrogen facility in NEOM through the design, construction, start-up and operational period. This role is critical to ensure this world leading innovative plant meets its performance guaranteed and predicted forecast operations performance, which is critical for NGHC’s success.
- This position reports directly into the NGHC executive leadership team.
- This position is anticipated to lead an organization of 3-5 employees and interface with multiple strategic vendors providing technology and support services.
The Technology & Innovation Director will have strong leadership skills and a solid understanding of Green Hydrogen technologies, Renewable energy generation (Wind/Solar) and will have demonstrated skills in the creation, development, implementation of technology and associated management.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSBILITIES
- Ensuring all Green Hydrogen technology for NGHC’s Green H2 plant adhere to Process Safety policies, standards, and requirements as defined by relevant governmental organizations, or industrial associations, or in-house policies.
- Leading and oversight of the ongoing technology evaluation, development and implementation of Green Hydrogen production systems at NGHC including Electrolysis, Ammonia Synthesis, Renewable Power generation (Wind/Solar/BESS) to identify and deliver the most suitable solution for efficient and reliable green hydrogen production.
- Periodic liaison with EPC and technology providers to analyse and propose risk management and mitigation measures to enable the projects to proceed with an acceptable level of technical risk and as and when required to minimize such risks accordingly.
- Implement new technology improvement & process upgrades over the lifetime of the NGHC assets to continue to lower carbon intensity and drive down the unit cost of NH3
- Providing recommendations to CEO, VP Operations so that NGHC delivers on commercial & operational targets for Green Hydrogen/Ammonia using the most suitable technology options.
- Understand, develop, and implement the evaluations and systems that determine and track Carbon Intensity for Green Hydrogen product certification.
- Understanding the impact of government policy in all regions for Green Hydrogen and how that will impact the management and development NGHC’s Green Hydrogen technology.
- Develop international partnerships with key technology providers to gather and develop the required knowledge to build leadership in hydrogen. Enhance the regional university & training programs and sector specific trainings to prepare the qualified Saudi workforce needed to operate the facility.
- Developing knowledge of leading academic and industrial research initiatives into Green Hydrogen, building, and maintaining links with global experts in academia and industry.
- Working with our JV partners product and engineering teams as technology is implemented for the first time, develop and adopt advanced digital technological solutions for NGHC engaging in optimization, reliability studies, and technical risk management.
- Act as a Technical Leader to develop a long-term technology roadmap, identifying gaps, establishing priorities and setting up scaled operational plans to mature emerging technologies and related capabilities for NGHC
- Technical/BD Representation of NGHC at relevant industrial forums (trade fairs and conferences) and strategic initiatives such as a Hydrogen Alliance, Decarbonised Gas Alliance, Ammonia Energy Association, etc. Develop extensive network of relationships in industry and amongst key stakeholders in the energy transition space.
- Lead feasibility studies projects and highlight to NGHC management the problematic areas and concerns at early stage in the projects and provide technical solutions to mitigate them.
- Ensures all staff have clear objectives, regular performance feedback sessions, formal annual appraisals, and development plans, with particular emphasis on the development of talented Saudi national staff.
- Ensures and facilitates the employment, training, and development of Saudi nationals within the organization.
ESSENTIAL EDUCATION and/or QUALIFICATIONS REQUIREDMust have as a minimum a bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering or similar discipline, and relevant post graduated qualifications.DESIRED EDUCATION and/or QUALIFICATIONS REQUIREDIdeally has postgraduate qualifications in a subject aligned with Green Hydrogen technology. MINIMUM YEARS EXPERIENCE IN SIMILAR JOB ROLE10 YearsMINIMUM YEARS OF MANAGERIAL EXPERIENCE5 YearsSKILLS / TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE AREASThe Technology and Innovation Director is expected to be an experienced leader of teams including expert scientists and engineers, engaged in developing novel technologies. They must be able to understand and communicate the technology to the most senior levels of NGHC and JV partner Leadership.Must have extensive experience of investigating, developing, implementing new technologies and have a strong desire to learn and explore the latest developments in sustainability and Green Hydrogen technology.Must have well-developed oral and written communication skills and the demonstrated ability to work across regions and cultures. They will be able to work co-operatively and build consensus with other experts across NGHC’s Joint Venture partners and strategic alliance partners.
To apply for this job please visit www.bayt.com.