Ministry of Justice
As a Lead Developer at MoJ you will have engineering management, technical leadership and engineering profession responsibilities.
- Understand technical work undertaken by the team (at a high level) across the entire stack from frontend to database, including infrastructure.
- Have engineering management responsibilities – managing, coaching, growing people, plus working alongside Delivery.
- Work alongside delivery manager to champion relevant agile methodologies and practices such as Extreme Programming / Kanban / Scrum.
- Support the Delivery Manager in ensuring a good rate of software delivery using four key metrics: lead time to change, deployment frequency, mean time to restore and change failure rate percentage.
- Responsible for people management of engineers within one or more product teams grouped by business domain, creating a brilliant environment for coaching and people development to be shared by Lead and Senior Developers.
- Provide technical leadership in backlog refinement, helping plan, define and prioritize actionable tasks for the team.
- Collaborate with Technical Architects to help in the design of systems and implementation of coherent and sustainable technical roadmaps.
- Own and take responsibility for team decisions, whilst looking to delegate decision making to those with more expertise and as opportunities for growth.
- Lead discussions with Developers to gain consensus on technical decisions, to understand application architecture, to unblock technical issues and to resolve disputes.
- Work alongside Technical Architects and Product Managers to set product direction.
- Managers to ensure great team health (ways of working, productivity, happiness) with a focus on Software Developers.
- Ensure teams produce adequate documentation and put strategies in place to distribute and share adequate technical knowledge of our systems.
- Take part in the recruitment and onboarding of other Developers
- Provide input and challenge to the Principal Developer on the wider agenda and technical strategy, influencing decisions that affect the technical direction of the business unit
- Arrange, lead and deliver internal training and workshops on a range of relevant technical topics and disciplines
- Help build and maintain a diverse, inclusive culture across the development community, growing awareness, inclusivity, and balance
- Lead discussions in the development, organisation and visibility of reusable components
- Work with their local Principal Developer and the wider community to improve and/or maintain good coding standards and practices. Provide leadership and opinion on style choices, design principles, API design, dependency management, etc.
- Monitor the external landscape for emerging technologies, tools and good practice
- Be a prominent moderator in technical slack channels, encouraging wider input and acting as a driver of the community
Company: Ministry of Justice
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Newport, Wales, UK
Application Deadline: N/A