Ministry of Justice
We’re looking for a Head of Interaction Design who is passionate about designing digital services that are simple enough for everyone to use. You’ll play a key role in building our capability to design and continuously iterate world-class, user-centred, inclusive services for internal and external users.
As Head of Interaction Design, you’ll determine the best way for our users to interact with our services. You’ll be responsible for designing systems that work across multiple services, documenting, testing and iterating design patterns for digital and offline channels. You’ll define standards and best practice to assure quality and consistency across the end-to-end user experience.
You’ll coach, mentor, train and develop other designers, supporting the growth and development of the design team and creating the right conditions for supportive communities of practice to grow and thrive.
An experienced design practitioner, you’ll have experience of designing in an agile environment and be driven to help government transform the way it delivers services so that they are simpler, faster and easier to use.
- Taking responsibility for your own learning and development and seek opportunities to improve your knowledge and experience
- Mapping user journeys and visualising design problems across the end-to-end service, including support channels and other user touchpoints
- Collaborating within a multi-disciplinary team on large, complex services by facilitating the design process, participating in research activities, designing and running workshops and communicating design decisions
- Leading, growing, developing and supporting a team of interaction designers, providing them with guidance, training and constructive feedback
- Advocating for users and understanding user needs to design simple, effective and accessible services
- Advocating user-centred design and being an active part of the Design community within HMCTS and across government to share ideas, best practice and proactively help and support each other
- Identifying, developing and using best practice and standards to make sure we design services that are consistent with the rest of government and HMCTS
- Leading the design of prototypes and concepts to communicate and test ideas with users and improving with evidence, including prototyping in code, rapid prototyping and form-building software
Qualification & Experience:
- Formal understanding of design principles and process, for example from a design-related qualification
- Evidence- and context-based design; designing simple, easy-to-use and accessible design patterns and elements that are informed by user research and work across multiple services
- Experience of coaching, leading and supporting designers working in cross-functional agile delivery teams in change programmes
- Design leadership; mentoring, coaching and guidance within a design community and/or when line managing more junior designers, including identifying and fixing issues identified within a team dynamic
- Working at pace; within time, cost and other constraints to ensure delivery, including challenging or removing these constraints where necessary
- Prototyping in various methods and levels of fidelity; translating actionable insight from research and analysis into solutions that can be tested with users, ranging from low-fidelity initial sketches and visual concepts to high-fidelity code prototypes
- User focus; understanding user needs, participating in research activities and interpreting user research to inform design work across a variety of channels
- Making design a collaborative process; designing and running workshops and other collaborative work to ensure that user and business needs are fully understood
- Experience of designing services that meet the government service standard
Company: Ministry of Justice
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: London, England, UK
Application Deadline: N/A