As a member of the R&D Mechanical Engineering group in the Diabetes business unit, the individual selected for this role will be responsible for product, and technology development activities of diabetes related products such as insulin pumps, glucose sensors, and related accessories. The Sr. Mechanical Design Engineer will play a lead role in the design, development, sustaining, design characterization and design verification activities of diabetes products. The individual will have significant ability to influence on technology development as new products are conceptualized.
- May travel to supplier locations as needed to help ensure programs meeting deadlines and troubleshoot issues.
- Present technical findings or project status to cross functional teams through meeting minutes, design reviews, presentations and other means of communication.
- Create and release engineering drawings.
- Complete testing and analysis to ensure designs meet and exceed product specifications, regulatory requirements, and international standards.
- Grow and maintain technical knowledge current with advancing technology related to product development of diabetes devices and accessories.
- Work with suppliers to ensure components meet design requirements & diagnose design problems.
- Perform calculations, analyses, and engineering testing to verify the designs. Document results in reports and laboratory notebooks.
- Design components to be manufactured via plastic injection molding, stamping, machining, extrusion, and related processes.
- Work with manufacturing to consider high volume assembly processes in design concepts.
- Translate voice of customer (VOC) feedback into engineering design requirements.
- Process engineering change orders.
- Collaborate with other departments within Medtronic on development projects.
Qualification & Experience:
- Experience designing and developing electromechanical assemblies
- Bachelors degree required
- Experience creating technical, written content
- Strong understanding of mechanical engineering principles and methodologies
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Experience in plastic part design and injection molding
- Formal training in DRM Greenbelt or Blackbelt
- Experience interpreting and applying Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerance (GD&T)
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant experience, or advanced degree with a minimum of 2 years relevant experience
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and projects
- Experience in product design and development in an R&D environment
- Ability to use structural finite elements software such as Cosmos or Ansys
- Experience in medical device design and developing assembly processes and mechanical assemblies
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills
- High degree of initiative and self-motivation
- Experience creating and interpreting technical drawings and creating Bill of Materials
- Demonstrated data analysis skills
- Experience 3D modeling software, i.e. SolidWorks and/or ProEngineer
- Effective problem-solving skills
- Experience with the design and manufacture of medical devices
- Experience solving ambiguous problems
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: South Bend, IN, US
Application Deadline: N/A