United Arab Emirates University (UAEU)
Job description / Role
Medical Research Spec. I (laboratory-based) in the Department of Pediatrics, College of Medicine and Health Sciences-UAEU – employed as full-time staff member participating in clinical and translational research, with occasional teaching and administrative activities if required by the Chair of the department.
The work involves executing daily laboratory operations, including viral and tissue cultures, plaque assay, real-time PCR, animal care (e.g., viral inoculation, blood sampling, breeding, etc.) and analytical measurements (e.g., HPLC, immune assay methods, automated DNA sequencing, gel electrophoresis, DNA extraction, Western Blot, etc.). The tasks also include preparing laboratory solutions, reagents, cultures, and biological samples.
• Design, set up, and conduct experiments, tests, and other scientific procedures without supervision; prepare compounds or chemicals needed; collect and collate data from procedures.
• Analyze data from scientific procedures; collate data into publishable form; perform calculations; create graphic displays of data analysis.
• Enter data into computerized system; maintain and update files and databases.
• Supervise students/junior technicians in laboratory techniques; monitor lab usage to ensure safe and efficient use of facilities.
• Monitor and maintain physical condition of laboratory.
• Maintain inventory of supplies, order as necessary.
• Maintain lab equipment; perform minor repairs.
• Other duties as assigned by immediate supervisor.