United Arab Emirates University (UAEU)
Job description / Role
• Mechanical systems engineering personnel will be responsible for managing top level system designs, vehicle and bus configurations, ensuring physical component integrations as well as appropriate selection of materials and adequate design features to ensure mission success.
• Contribute to the mechanical design team through design updates, manufacturing, integration, and test of critical spacecraft hardware
• Contribute to component/subsystem specification verification, integration of new designs during manufacturing, and developing/releasing detailed engineering
• Investigate design factors such as equipment or part availability, manufacturability, ease of assembly, weight and cost; evaluating vendor designs; developing and maintaining all assembly and test documentation; trouble shooting and correcting anomalies and discrepant hardware
• Support development of processes and procedures for manufacturing, verification, and commissioning of tool designs
• Author work orders that interpret design engineering drawings into touch labor instructions in the engine integration build cell.
• Generate test plans, identifies and categorizes failures, determines root cause and documents results and recommendations
• Generate Finite Element Models and perform FEA for normal modes, linear static stress, elastic stability, and distortion, as well as nonlinear assessments to predict and improve structural response as needed.
• Lead mechanical sub assembly Integrated Product Teams (IPTs), developing alternative designs to satisfy mission level requirements, documenting design approaches, establishing design verification & validation
• Support the Integrated Product Team in structural engineering and analysis to ensure that the design meets all applicable requirements coordinating schedule, budget and deliverables with the IPT lead.
• Responsible for preparing and conducting system level hardware testing
• Assist thermal engineers in spacecraft and/or instrument component thermal design, analysis, hardware testing, and/or laboratory research.
• Design thermal management systems for electronics applications, including fluidic, phase change, thermoelectric, convection.