A position is open for a part-time research lab assistant at the Ragon Institute of MGH, Harvard and MIT. The candidate will assist in research investigating the immunological mechanisms contributing to development of chronic symptoms following infection by the Lyme bacterium Borellia. A central focus of the studies is illuminating how Borellia interacts with components of the innate immune system immediately after infection, including distribution into the blood stream to seed distant sites, and how adaptive immune responses then influence persistent symptoms that may include feedback to the innate immune system. The project involves extensive use of human in vitro tissue-engineered models of infection and immune response, and includes a collaboration with the Griffith and Lauffenburger labs at MIT and the Alter lab at the Ragon.
- Prepares, washes and dries glassware.
- Decontaminates/sterilizes glassware and other apparatus by autoclaving.
- Uses and maintains appropriate machinery, tools, materials and instruments.
- Sorts and arranges glassware by capacity.
- Prepares basic solutions.
- Verifies quantities and distributes to laboratory personnel.
- Cleans certain glassware by soaking in detergent concentrate or acid solution, or by placing in an ultrasound machine.
- Takes inventory and monitors supplies of products to perform duties.
- Cleans and maintains laboratory, disposing of trash, lab chemicals and specimens.
- Ensures the cleanliness of washing machines, ovens, autoclaves and ultrasound machines, and work area.
- Excellent documentation skills
- Good communication skills
- Well organized and flexible
- Able to work well with others as well as self-motivated and able to work independently
- High School diploma or equivalent required
- Ability to respect confidential medical information
- Must be willing to learn and grow
- Experience or knowledge of data entry applications
- Proficiency in microcomputer skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel, Access and Internet applications
Vacancy Type: Part Time
Job Location: Cambridge, MA, US
Application Deadline: N/A