The California Independent System Operator (ISO) manages the flow of electricity across the high-voltage, long-distance power lines that make up 80 percent of California’s power grid. We safeguard the economy and well-being of 30 million Californians by operating the grid reliably 24/7.
As the impartial grid operator, the California ISO opens access to the wholesale power market that is designed to diversify resources and lower prices. It also grants equal access to 25,865 circuit-miles of power lines and reduces barriers to diverse resources competing to bring power to customers.
The California ISO’s function is often compared to that of air traffic controllers. It would be grossly unfair for air traffic controllers to represent one airline and profit from allowing that company’s planes to go through before others. In the same way, the California ISO operates independently—managing the electron traffic on a power grid we do not own—making sure electricity is safely delivered to utilities and consumers on time and reliably.
Under the general direction of the Manager, leads the allocation and auction of Congestion Revenue Rights (CRRs). Coordinates with the CRR team to ensure that all market tasks are completed, including generating load metric data, running of the load migration process, generation of Full Network Model data and managing data for the modeling of transmission ownership and existing contract rights for use in the CRR market. Identifies anomalous results and recommends corrective actions. Provides data for the summary CRR allocation and auction reports. Responds to internal and external client questions related to CRRs and system access issues. Develops and implements standards, processes and controls for new and existing business practices. Acts as the main point of contact for internal and external audit activities related to CRRs.
What you will be doing:
- Provides technical expertise and is responsible for execution of the CRR production runs for the annual and monthly markets. Maintains and develops data sets to be used in the CRR markets, including transmission ownership information, load metrics for eligible load serving entities, and associated data for calculating the CRR credit requirements. Prepares and runs the load migration process. Responsible for supporting the CRR Full Network Model and conducts power flow analysis to ensure the CRR simulates feasibility. Partners with transmission planning to perform impact analysis of long term planning projects on CRRs.
- Facilitates the provisioning of CRR entities interested in joining the CRR market. Ensures entry requirements are completed accurately and timely. Collaborates with external and internal organizations to gather and validate the required data. Responds to client inquiries and assists clients with user interface questions. Provides technical expertise to external entities related to the CRR models and studies.
- Participates and provides guidance to the policy team regarding new policy initiatives affecting the CRR markets. Designs auction and allocation changes to support policy initiatives. Collaborates with project teams to provide impact assessment for CRR processes and software.
- Develops and implements standards, processes and controls for new and existing business practices. Reviews business processes and identifies areas of control weaknesses. Creates and implements new or enhanced process controls to meet audit requirements as identified. Leads internal teams to identify root causes of data anomalies. Develops and recommends solutions to prevent future errors through business processes or software solutions.
- Provides guidance, sets daily work assignment priorities for staff as needed. Identifies staffing needs and mentors, coaches and trains staff to optimize the team. Provides feedback to management regarding staff performance in support of the performance evaluation process. May participate in department hiring activities such as interviewing and providing feedback on candidates’ technical qualifications.
- May function as a Department Manager and is accountable to Manager for actions taken in Manager’s absence. May be granted additional supervisory authority based on department needs and/or consistent with departmental succession planning.
Level of Education
- A Bachelor’s degree (BA, BS) or equivalent education, training or experience in Electrical Engineering with Power systems emphasis or related technical field. Master Degree preferred.
Amount of Experience
- Equivalent years of education and training, plus six (6) or more years related experience.
Type of Experience
- Requires experience in one or more of the following areas: electric utility operations, preferably in a similar ISO with market design or operations background; computer techniques for power systems analysis; and power system operations.
- Experience with software tools and programming concepts is required.
- Power system operations, production cost modeling, power flow analysis, economics, and/or computer science experience.
- Experience with California power transmission networks and structure, and network modeling is desired.
- PSSE/Power World or other similar power flow software is required.
- Experience with SQL, SAS, or R is desired.
Additional skills and abilities:
- Demonstrates fundamental management and leadership skills with the ability to work effectively in a team environment as a leader, facilitator and team member.
- Ability to provide practical and feasible solutions to problems, keeping multiple conflicting considerations into account.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and writing skills required.
- Excellent analytical skills are required, including the ability to effectively communicate complex technical materials and concepts in a non-technical manner.
- Must be able to handle a dynamic and changing work environment, and work independently.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Self-motivated, problem solving skills and the ability to influence others without direct authority.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.smartrecruiters.com.