Job description / Role
Our Client, a leading global consumer products company is looking for Head of Legal managing the legal and compliance affairs across a diverse and challenging region that encompasses MENAT.
Provide general legal counsel to the Company’s businesses across the region – advise on and identify legal issues, gather the relevant facts and background, apply the law and formulate and communicate recommendations, bringing additional internal or external legal resources to bear as necessary.
* Ensure employees have a good understanding of the law in key/high risk areas, particularly compliance and trade sanction law and provide regular training as necessary.
* Build and manage relationships with key stakeholders – be a key member of the MENAT management team, actively advising the team and participating in management meetings.
* Intellectual Property – identify copyright, patent and trademark issues and refer them to appropriate specialist(s) for attention and resolution. Help implement the company’s brand protection efforts throughout the region including delivering anti-counterfeit training and organizing and participating in raids and seizures.
* Commercial – provide legal support where needed to commercial teams, including by reviewing commercial contracts, distribution agreements, terms and conditions, etc.
* Corporate Communications – advise on, and conduct legal review of, corporate communications and responses to media requests including social media.
* Corporate Governance – Ensure compliance with best practices in corporate governance across the region; ensure that proper corporate records are maintained, including resolutions, and minutes of meetings of the shareholders and board of directors of the various entities in the region; oversee preparation and filing of any documents required to be filed with the relevant Corporate Registry.
* Human Resources – Provide legal support to local human resources function, including with respect to termination/voluntary separation, violations of the Code of Conduct, etc. Work with HR specialists and Global Ethics & Compliance as required.
* Compliance and Competition Law – Provide advice regarding compliance with competition law and trade sanctions and other fair dealings laws (e.g., the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act); conduct training on competition law and Company’s Commercial Selling Principles; become trained to perform Global Ethics & Compliance investigations and support the Legal Compliance specialists with the roll-out of any global training or other compliance initiatives.