Job description / Role
• Compute dimensions of patterns according to sizes, considering stretching of material.
• Create a master pattern for each size within a range of garment sizes, using charts, drafting instruments, computers, and/or grading devices.
• Create a paper pattern from which to mass-produce a design concept.
• Determine the best layout of pattern pieces to minimize waste of material, and mark fabric accordingly.
• Discuss design specifications with designers and convert their original models of garments into patterns of separate parts that can be laid out on a length of fabric.
• Draw details on outlined parts to indicate where parts are to be joined, as well as the positions of pleats, pockets, buttonholes, and other features.
• Draw outlines of pattern parts by adapting or copying existing patterns, or by drafting new patterns.
• Examine sketches, sample articles, and design specifications to determine quantities, shapes, and sizes of pattern parts, and to determine the amount of material or fabric required to make a product.
• Mark samples and finished patterns with information such as garment size, section, style, identification, and sewing instructions.
• Test patterns by making and fitting sample garments.