British School of Bahrain
Job Title Deputy Head of Operations
Reports to Head of Operations
The Deputy Head of Operations is responsible for making the school a safe environment for students and staff members by leading the implementation of strategies to manage all aspects of the School’s security and health and safety in line with statutory and regulatory requirements.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Deputising for the Head of Operations
- To support the Head of Operations at all times.
- To Deputise for the Head of Operations as and when required to ensure continuity of management in this area.
- To act as the liaison with all external contractors on all matters to do with the operation of the School including (but not limited to) Fire, Inspection, Security, Neighbours, Traffic, Transport, Canteen, Uniform Shop, etc.
- Line management of the Head of Security.
- In support of the Head of Security, line management of the Security Contractors
- In support of the Head of Operations, line management of the Maintenance team
- To contribute to formulating the school’s operations strategy by assisting in the evaluation of school site and usage options, and proposing creative and inspiring suggestions for improvements.
- To attend the termly Health & Safety Committee meeting
- To attend the termly Operations/Health & Safety Parent Advisory Group Meeting
- To ensure appropriate safeguarding and health and safety compliance and that all risk assessments and contractor safety checks are carried out.
- To ensure that full compliance with BQA and BSO regulations are met and that inspections are deemed to be Outstanding.
Health & Safety, Fire Safety and Security
- Working with the Head of Operations, the Head of Health & Safety has overall responsibility for Fire Safety and the Security of the School. He/she must work alongside the senior management in the school to ensure all buildings comply with local and international H&S regulations.
- To ensure that there is a whole school culture towards vigilance for Health & Safety
- To work with the Head of HR to ensure that all staff are adequately training in Health & Safety.
- To make recommendations regarding specific staff and requirements for additional Health & Safety Training as appropriate to their role.
- To facilitate staff with adequate training for providing the fire safety and security arrangements of the school.
- To act as a key holder and ensure all key holders understand their responsibilities for site security. To ensure key holder lists are kept up to date.
- To ensure all fire systems and prevention equipment are properly and appropriately installed and maintained and that all fire alarms and monitoring systems are regularly tested.
- To ensure Fire Risk Assessments and all relevant policy and procedures are fully compliant and carried out on a regular basis and that there is a positive relationship with the local Fire Service.
- To ensure all School facilities benefit from appropriate intruder alarms and CCTV protection which are properly maintained and monitored and that these and the monitoring systems are regularly tested.
- To take responsibility for ensuring that risk assessments for all school buildings, grounds and activities are produced/reviewed on at least an annual basis and that action points are followed up as and when appropriate. In particular, ensuring that the Operations team produces risk assessments and method statements for communal and/or external grounds and buildings of the school and external contractor’s work.
- To ensure that all electrical installations comply with the regulations and that annual PAT testing is completed to schedule and within regulated timeframes and that the school meets all Fire Regulations.
- Ensure that all electrical certificates of compliance are in place.
- To maintain the asbestos policy and register and to ensure the school complies with all H&S and BSO regulations relating to asbestos.
- To annually collate and update risk assessments for each classroom and office space within the school.
- To ensure that accident/incident and near-miss forms are completed and properly recorded and that appropriate action is taken as and when required.
- To compile a termly Health & Safety report to be presented to the Health & Safety Committee.
- In support of the Head of Operations, to review all school policies relating to Health & Safety and regularly update these.
- To ensure awareness of Health & Safety policies and procedures for all staff.
Provision of Security, Utilities, and Services
- To ensure that the School campus is safe and secure at all times
- To monitor, test, and train the Security Contractors to ensure a high state of readiness
- To advise other members of the Senior Leadership Team regarding changing requirements for improved security. For example, working with the Head of ICT to install new CCTV cameras.
- To provide adequate training, supervision, and staff development for all employees within the Operations department.
- To ensure that all Operations staff and contractors comply with the safeguarding rules and procedures set by the school.
- To take responsibility for risk management in the Operations department including disaster, contingency and continuity planning and managing the development and maintenance of a risk register.
New Project Development
- During the construction period coordinate regular construction meetings to ensure health and safety, and the quality of the buildings is managed to the required levels.
- Review buildings for any risk issues and provide a solution for resolution.
- Ensure guarantees are provided on key equipment.
- To take responsibility for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young people.
- To participate in the school’s staff appraisal system as appropriate.
- To present the best possible image of the school in general, and, in particular, in all contact and communications with the general public, visitors, parents, students, customers, suppliers and all other external organizations.
- To actively promote and market the school within the local community.
- To undertake training and staff development as needed and as determined by the school management.
- To undertake such other duties, commensurate with the post, which your managers or members of the Senior Leadership Team may reasonably and occasionally require, including working evenings and covering for absent colleagues.
- Coordinate suitable inspection procedures and maintenance. Help identify suitable trades or persons to help resolve any challenges.
- Review new technologies and equipment to provide proposals for improved efficiencies at the School
Note: The responsibilities listed above are illustrative and not exhaustive. Additional responsibilities may be added from time to time depending on organisational requirements.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Contribution to the School’s Strategic planning to enable a 5-year plan of site improvement to be devised.
- Ability to be a role model
- Ability to reflect on own practice
- Good communication skills (oral, written and presentation)
- Good interpersonal skills and strong team orientation
- Physically fit in order to carry out the lifting and handling duties and mobility required from time to time – this can be a hands-on role
- Work on own initiative
- Well organised and good time management
- Flexible working – some work outside core hours will be required
- Strong ICT skills including Microsoft office
- An ability to speak Arabic is advantageous but not essential
EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree with a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience required. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted for educational requirements.
- 2 to 3 years of experience in Occupational Health & Safety is a must; experience working in the education sector is a plus.
- Professional qualifications in Health & Safety. o NEBOSH, IOSH, CMIOSH, NVQ-Level 3 Certificate in OHS, etc.
- Experience in managing a team of staff and demonstrable quality control.
- Understanding the legal aspects of Health & Safety with the ability to deliver outstanding compliance
- Ability to confront difficult issues and take difficult decisions, particularly in relation to staffing and culture.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and database management
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Experience working in a Google environment preferred
- Health and Safety Committee
- Fire Marshalls
- COVID Task Force
- Security Management
- Accident/Incident Reporting
- Head of Operations
- Security In-Charge
- Cleaners in-Charge
- Head of Medical Team
- Infant, Junior, and Senior Heads of Schools
A commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people at all times
Working Hours 07:30 – 15:30
Working Days Sunday to Thursday
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: BD600.000 – BD800.000 per month
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Manama: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
- Health & Safety: 3 years (Required)
- NEBOSH Certificate (Required)
Application Deadline: 25/07/2022
To apply for this job please visit bh.indeed.com.