Job description / Role
A new exciting role has come up with an international law firm. Our client is looking for a Deputy General Counsel who will be based in their UAE office. For this role, you will be part of and work within the Office of the General Counsel (OGC) team for UKIME. Your responsibilities will include but not limited to:
• Work collaboratively with other business support services within the firm, including HR, finance, marketing and business acceptance teams.
• Offer counsel on a variety of legal issues including assisting with responding to day-to-day queries received in the company’s inbox.
• Design, implement, maintain and monitore effective compliance programmes for the UKIME region.
• Work with the Business Acceptance team to lead improvements and changes to our standard terms of business to improve commercial and regulatory protection for the firm in response to risks across all parts of the UKME Region.
• Manage the effective compliance of the whole ME offices, reporting directly to the Managing Partners of those offices and designing with the GC effective compliance programmes for those offices.
• Respond to regulatory audits and assisting the GC with regulatory and internal investigations arising across the ME.
• Promote a positive compliance and risk culture across all offices in the ME.
• Assess, design and implement appropriate governance structures across ME.
• Identify regulatory risks to the business, reporting those to the GC and formulating an effective response to those risks, including operating the firm’s risk register and department risk log.
• Monitor the ME regulatory environment and planning and implementing responses to change when needed (both in terms of internal compliance precedent updates and firm wide policy revisions).
• Provide complex legal advice to the firm, its partners and business support departments, on behalf of the GC.
• Design, implement and manage projects directly or through the officers and analysts of the Global Risk Department together with the GC.
• Develop and set up annual compliance and risk strategy for the firm together with the GC.
• Provide regulatory compliance advice to the business including advice on sanctions, ABC, SRA, DPA and FSMA advice and design, implement and manage related compliance programmes.
• Represent the firm before and build and maintain close working relationships with its regulators and within the legal risk profession.
• Manage various projects and deadlines.
• Research unique legal issues impacting the organization by identifying applicable statutes, judicial decisions, and codes.
• Develop practical solutions to complex legal questions
• Provide practical and innovative, high quality, legal advice in relation to:
• General commercial law
• Corporate Housekeeping/Company secretarial support
• Company law
• Employment law
• Data protection