Tufts Medical Center
It takes a lot of very smart, hard-working and talented people to provide the level of care that we give to our patients. Tufts Medical Center is an internationally respected academic medical center and we pride ourselves not only on the sophistication of the care we deliver, but the compassionate way in which we provide it. And that starts with our employees!
This position is responsible for cleaning, sterilizing and assembling procedure trays, O.R. supplies and instrument sets in accordance with established procedures and techniques. Responsible for distribution of processed instrumentation and/or disposable supplies to patient care areas and to O.R. via case cart system. Managerial responsibility for specific areas of the department on a daily basis; in charge of the entire department on weekends with supervisory back up.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Receives, cleans, decontaminates soiled instruments using detergents, disinfecting solutions and washer sterilizers.
- Maintains entire work area in clean orderly manner. Disposes of gross surgical waste.
- Handles septic items from O.R. or patient floors using the principles of Universal Precautions
- Operates major sterilization equipment (steam, EtO gas, Steris and liquid chemical).
- Performs daily maintenance on major sterilization equipment.
- Wraps, dates and sterilizes all instruments and specialty items for distribution.
- Monitors and documents sterilization criteria for quality control, i.e., sterilization log, aeration record, chart pressure and temperature readings.
- Sorts and inspects all instruments for damage.
- Assembles instruments into kits.
- Assembles components of surgical cases for case cart system on routine and emergency basis.
- Assembles components and stocks exchange carts for Day Surgery Center based on requisitioned supplies and special requests.
- Stocks shelves with supplies and instruments.
- Responds to O.R. needs and follows through with distribution of items.
- Does Quality Control checks and documents such checks on all areas as assigned, i.e., M&D and case carts.
- In charge of a given area of department on daily basis, i.e., Prep and Pack and M&D.
- Has supervisory responsibility on weekends and holidays with supervisor back up.
- Responsible for on the job training of new employees.
- Supervisory Duties
- Provides leadership and direction to CPD Technicians when shift charge.
- Anticipates daily and next day requirements relating to surgical instrumentation, equipment, and supplies to ensure all needs are met.
- Assesses status of daily surgical schedule to anticipate work load on all CPD shifts
- Effectively communicates all pertinent information relating to the responsibilities of each shift and collaborate with department supervisors and OR personnel for resolution of issues.
- Anticipates and resolves potential equipment and supply conflicts or shortages with satisfactory substitutions.
- Monitors surgical kit assembly to insure completeness and accuracy by providing instruction, accurate kit list information, and appropriate resources for the CPD Technicians.
- Monitors case-cart setups for completeness and accuracy. Addresses all ‘missing item’ issues.
- Assures that assigned tasks have been properly and promptly completed.
- Effectively documents and communicates supply conflicts and shortages with appropriate CPD and Nursing staff.
- Instructs, monitors, and evaluates shift Technicians on the proper care and handling of surgical instruments and the principles of sterility set by specific policies.
- Instructs, monitors, and evaluates shift Technicians of the proper use of all washers, sterilizers, and record keeping systems according to specific policies.
- Prepares shift assignment sheet to assure that adequate coverage for all areas will be met.
- Performs other similar and job related duties as required or directed
JOB KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Must possess a sound understanding of the English language.
- Ability to think quickly and use sound judgment.
- Have good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and stress.
- Ability to set priorities for job responsibilities.
- Ability to delegate responsibility.
- Any other duties required to meet patient care needs.
- High School degree or equivalent.
- CPD training desired.
- Completion of a certified program in Central Processing preferred. Central Services Technician National Certification (CRCST) or Certification Board for Sterile Processing and Distribution (CBSPD) required.
- Minimum of two years Central Processing experience required.
- Six months to one year of experience in the department with demonstrated ability to assume more responsibility.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Job involves large amount of time walking and standing, routine lifting of objects weighing up to 20 lbs. and pushing/moving heavy loaded carts of 30-40 lbs.
- Routine contact with caustic materials used in cleaning and disinfection, infectious material, steam under pressure, and ethylene oxide (a known carcinogen).
- High level of noise, heat and humidity due to sterilization process.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES STATEMENT:
Must be able to perform all essential functions of this position with reasonable accommodation if disabled.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. New England Medical Center reserves the right to modify position duties at any time, to reflect process improvements and business necessity.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.smartrecruiters.com.