Job description / Role
– Reports to : Chief of Medical Staff
Duties and responsibilities :
– Assist the Director, along with the other group leaders, in managing the work of the department and responding to requests for information and advice from within the Trust and externally.
– Manage, in conjunction with the Business Manager, the contracts and resources of the Group within the budget.
– Be responsible for identifying future developments which may affect the work of the Group and develop plans accordingly.
– Ensure that all staff undergo regular performance development reviews to identify individual training needs, set and monitor objectives in line with the needs of the individual and objectives of the Group and Trust.
– Participate in relevant professional activities and provide professional expertise and advice to outside bodies.
– Ensure that the Group quality management system is maintained and developed.
– Ensure that appropriate risk management procedures and documents are in place in line with Trust policies.
– Be responsible to the Director for the provision of radiation protection services by the department, as an RPA body, to health care establishments and, where appropriate, private customers, universities etc. in the north west.
– Act, on behalf of the department, as accredited Radiation Protection Adviser to specified Trusts and other customers, as defined and required by the Ionising Radiations Regulations 1999.
– Provide Medical Physics Expert advice to specified Trusts and other customers, in line with the requirements of the Ionising Radiation (Medical Exposure) Regulations 2000. This includes determining and advising on the doses and risks to patients in routine and research procedures.
– Ensure that appropriate levels of expertise and advice on safety are provided to users of UV and optical radiations.
– Be responsible for the provision of equipment performance and quality assurance measurements on diagnostic x-ray equipment, and other equipment where appropriate, in line with current legislation and national guidance.
– Provide, and be responsible for providing advice and measurements to ensure that equipment is used optimally.
– Be responsible for providing advice on the procurement (specifications, choice and evaluation) of equipment which falls within the scope of the Group.
– Provide advice, measurements and professional judgement on the optimisation of image quality and radiation dose, including the resolution of image quality problems.
Support to the NHS Breast Screening Programme:
– Be responsible for providing a physics service to the National Breast Screening Programme in line with NHS and professional recommendations.
– Be the professional medical physics quality assurance coordinator with joint responsibility to the Regional Director of Breast Screening and the Director of Physics.
– This includes undertaking multi-disciplinary QA visits to breast screening units and advising the Regional Director on all matters relating to the procurement and performance testing of equipment, and image quality and patient dose in the breast screening programme.
Research and Development:
– Be responsible for determining the research strategy and for overseeing the research activity of the Group.
– Take the lead in identifying projects and encourage all members of the Group to participate in project work.
– Initiate and undertake research and development work and where appropriate seek external funding to support such work. Disseminate the results through peer reviewed publications and presentations at scientific conferences.
– Forge links with clinicians, universities and other groups undertaking relevant research.
Teaching and Training:
– Organise and provide physics teaching to the FRCR (Clinical Radiology) Parts 1 and 2 programmes.
– Provide teaching and training for the National Breast Screening Training Centre at the Nightingale Centre.
– Ensure that physicists and technicians in the Group are appropriately trained for the tasks they undertake.
– Ensure that any other formal or informal teaching or training by members of the group is undertaken as required.
– This job description is subject to periodic review and may be changed at anytime in consultation with the employee.
– Familiar with standard concepts, practices and procedures within a particular field.
– Ability to communicate effectively in English language both verbal and written.
– Knowledge in Arabic language is an advantage.