University of Balamand Dubai (UOBD)
Job description / Role
The Chief Academic Officer (CAO) is responsible for overseeing all aspects of academic affairs at the University. Working closely with the Vice Chancellor & CEO, the CAO leads the development and supervises the implementation of academic strategies, policies and procedures whose purpose is to ensure the fullest achievement of the University’s educational mission, goals and objectives.
• Collaborate with the Vice Chancellor and CEO in formulating strategies and action plans for developing the academic offerings of the University.
• Monitor operations of all academic units of the University to ensure compliance with CAA Standards and other relevant laws and regulations.
• Present to the Vice Chancellor and CEO an annual hiring plan (based on projected needs) for full-time and adjunct faculty for inclusion in the annual budget.
• Review and approve the selection of candidates for full-time faculty positions and submit recommendations to the Vice Chancellor and CEO for final approval and advancing to HR.
• Lead the annual budgeting process for the academic units and present budget proposals to the Vice Chancellor and CEO.
• Review and approve all submissions to the CAA by the academic units (e.g., self-studies for initial program accreditation or renewal of accreditation, substantive change applications).
• Conduct the annual performance evaluation for all academic staff in the University and submit a summary thereof to the Vice Chancellor and CEO.
• Chair the University Curriculum Committee (UCC) and oversee the curriculum development process.
• Develop a research agenda that involves all academic units in accordance with UOBD’s Strategic Plan, and foster the development of a research culture.
• Develop and implement a plan for continuous pursuit of teaching effectiveness and instill a culture of teaching excellence among faculty.
• Perform external outreach and representation functions and build collaborative relationships that advance UOBD’s mission achievement and enhance its reputation.