Majid Al Futtaim invites you to join us in our quest to create great moments for everyone, everyday! We are the leading shopping mall, residential communities, retail and leisure pioneer across the Middle East, Africa and Asia, serving over 560 million visitors a year. For the past two decades, we have shaped the consumer landscape across the region, transforming the way people shop, live and play, while maintaining a strong sustainability track record and the largest mall in the world to attain LEED Gold EBOM Certification. We have over 40,000 team members in 15 international markets representing over 100 nationalities – all keeping the customer at the heart of everything we do. If you enjoy being BOLD, PASSIONATE and TOGETHER, then Majid Al Futtaim is the destination for you.
Role Archetype: Team Leader
Division / Department: Majid Al Futtaim Fashion – Planning & Merchandising
Grade / Level: F06
Reporting To: General Manager – Planning & Merchandising
Date of last revision: January 2020
Supervising (if applicable):
The Buyer is responsible for sourcing and buying at optimum cost, quality and availability, product ranges that meet customer needs thereby maximizing profits and providing a commercially viable range of merchandise for MAF Fashion business. The Buyer will be responsible for supporting the General Manager – Planning & Merchandising in defining and presenting short and long-term strategic approaches, future growth opportunities and areas of risk for the business with regards to brand assortment, ranging, products, positioning inventory and margins.
Responsibilities will include, but will not be limited to the following:
Financial & Standards
- Formulate a suitable buying strategy, approach and plan in line with Brand and MAF Fashion guidelines.
- Direct and manage various functional aspects of vendor sourcing/ development, contract negotiation, purchasing, liaising with supply chain and warehouse to ensure optimum efficiency & performance of the function.
- Ensure that commercial, yet profitable product ranges are developed and bought in order to maximise profit and sales.
- Ensure the OTB is built up by store, category and subcategory.
- Manage and control, in conjunction with the GM, all aspects of stock to achieve reduced lost sales, improved buying and balanced product mix through careful and rigorous buying.
- Manage brand portfolio for category, partner with planning to develop recommendations for brand portfolio adjustments (introduction/ discontinuations, increase/decrease) and space allocation per brand/ category, to maximize profit.
- Communicate launching pack, highlighting in particular any special styles bought, to the Marketing, Visual Merchandising teams, and Store Management.
- Contribute to development of annual business plans, associated budgets and buying strategies, monitor performance against this, initiating corrective action where necessary to ensure operations are conducted within the agreed financial parameters and targets are achieved.
- Responsible for achieving set financial targets in relation to all buying activities, OTB, margins, sell thru and markdowns.
- Negotiate product pricing, cost of shipment and payment terms, intake margin and terms with local vendors, taking into consideration business and cost effectiveness as the main consideration.
- Maintain profitable relationships with existing suppliers and monitor adherence to all contractual terms.
- Stay abreast of customer trends, demographic shifts and other influences to ensure buying decisions closely relate to customer preferences contributing to the customer experience.
- Conduct fashion trends and product training of new launches / seasons to the store teams as and when required.
- Nurture strong working relationship with the Planning, Finance and Operations teams to drive common business goals.
- Work closely with the Visual Merchandising, Marketing and Communication teams in order to develop and deliver the appropriate brand image to the market and customer.
- Net Sales
- Gross/ net margin
- Sell thru
- Breadth, depth (category, brand, style)
Functional / Technical Competencies
- Expertise in materials, designs, styles
- Research skills to stay abreast of trends, markets
- Commercial and financial understanding
- Negotiation skills
- Leads the Way – Understands market trends and impact on value drivers affecting areas of responsibility. Regularly reviews and prioritizes work of the team based on urgency and impact. Communicates the vision in a clear and compelling way. Creates clear, balanced roadmaps and ensures alignment. Allocates work in a clear, structured manner. Meets challenging situations head-on.
- Drives Impact – Makes clear, informed decisions. Understands risks associated with the job and ensures team understanding. Involves team members in decision making and takes ownership and responsibility for decisions made. Makes hard decisions and knows when to “make the call” versus upward delegations.
- Thinks Customer – Has a good understanding of customer segments and helps team to understand them. Frequently solicits customer feedback, works with the team to ensure customer expectations are met and exceeded. Actively encourages team members to adopt “customer first” mindset.
- Thinks Group – Identifies and pursues opportunities with potential and benefit for the group. Promotes collaboration with other teams and departments. Plays a leading role in establishing team targets ensuring they are ambitious and measurable. Proactively addresses perceived issues and leads resolutions in a constructive manner. Celebrates team achievements. Is responsive and communicates openly and keeps relevant stakeholders in the loop.
- Develops Talent – Delegates responsibilities to improve efficiencies within the team. Invests time and effort to coach team members. Provides fact based, detailed and actionable constructive feedback. Is able to have difficult conversations while maintaining calm and composure.
- Fosters Innovation – Regularly discusses new ideas focusing on potential rather than limitations. Actively pushes team to identify best practices and encourages discussion of new ideas. Leads team in assessing feasibility and impact of new ideas for sound implementation.
Qualifications & Experience
- A Bachelors’ Degree, preferably in Fashion, Marketing or related field
- Qualification in Retail Management / Purchasing / Sales or related subjects
- 2-3 years in a senior Merchandising role
- Experience in a retail background is mandatory