Majid Al Futtaim invites you to join us in our quest to create great moments for everyone, everyday! We are the leading shopping mall, residential communities, retail and leisure pioneer across the Middle East, Africa and Asia, serving over 560 million visitors a year. For the past two decades, we have shaped the consumer landscape across the region, transforming the way people shop, live and play, while maintaining a strong sustainability track record and the largest mall in the world to attain LEED Gold EBOM Certification. We have over 40,000 team members in 15 international markets representing over 100 nationalities – all keeping the customer at the heart of everything we do. If you enjoy being BOLD, PASSIONATE and TOGETHER, then Majid Al Futtaim is the destination for you.
Business Development Lead
Job Holder (if currently filled):
Division/Department (if available):
Head of IAM.AI
Supervising (if applicable):
Business Development Managers
Majid Al Futtaim is building a truly transformative lifestyle SuperApp that creates great moments for our customers, every day. As Business Development Lead, you’ll play a pivotal role in bringing this vision to life.
Reporting into the Head of Business, you will be responsible for unlocking non-linear growth and new strategic partner opportunities for SuperApp as it expands into multiple domains & regions. This includes building profitable relations with key strategic partners to create barriers of entry for competitors, developing and piloting new commercial models and partnership ecosystems, and expanding on existing strategic partnerships all in support of SuperApp priorities and strategies.
This role will be crucial in the success of our product strategy and revenue targets by 1) Growing SuperApp’s core business by securing partnerships that enhance user value and generate new revenue streams and 2) Identifying ways to find product market fit and increase adoption & expansion for SuperApp.[MA1]
Ultimately you will be responsible for identifying and managing partnership strategies to provide SuperApp users with best-in-class ecosystem and to enable SuperApp’s expansion into new geographies and areas of business.
Job Details – Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Partnership’s strategy, execution & governance
- Play an integral role in driving the strategic partnerships strategy by identifying and closing new opportunities for partnerships across IAMAI domains
- Craft thoughtful multi-year partnership strategies along with Product and Engineering leaders to define priorities and roadmaps and execute on the strategy with strategic partners.
- Engage with prospective partners by creating compelling communications that presents SuperApps value proposition and the appropriate offer.
- Build joint business plans with our partners, including end-to-end GTM plans as well as a robust set of KPIs, success metrics, joint accountability and governance.
- Manage technical and business negotiations, and partner with our legal team to develop and negotiate custom partnership agreements and repeatable templates to scale to broader ecosystem partnerships.
- Work cross-functionally and collaborate with all levels of management internally and externally to build and maintain mutually beneficial partnerships.
- Manage executive-level contacts with key partners, including executive relationship mapping, and C-level stakeholder management.
- Ensure partners are delivering on commitments, report and measure overall success of partner activities.
- Lead regular business and operational reviews with partners and leadership, reviewing and analyzing internal data and reports provided by partners, collecting and synthesizing feedback, driving subsequent recommendations and engaging with cross-functional colleagues to advance partnership impact.
- Develop post-deal governance and execution plans and developing KPIs to demonstrate achieved business value.
- Develop and operationalize the partner management program and establish best practices
- Work cross-functionally and serve as the liaison between our partners and SuperApp leadership, product, legal, operations, and other functional teams
- Inform go/no-go and prioritization decisions on new partnerships
Business Performance Management
- Work with the Head of Business to define long-term business goals and strategies. Drive continuous improvement, growth and value through partnerships
- Track business & partner performance against the planned business case. Ensure that the partners generate enough value to justify their inclusion as part of the SuperApp. This value could be in the form of user base, services, revenues, etc.
- Track top level KPIs, actively measure and analyze for opportunities to innovate and improve
- Set targets for growth and revenue; and advise on associated business resource needs
Growth & Expansion Strategy
- Launch IAM.AI into new markets
- Development of growth strategy for IAM.AI beyond initial launch
- Analyze organic & inorganic opportunities such as new markets for expansion, partnerships and opportunities
- Conduct business case development and scenario planning with detailed analysis
- Identify gaps and opportunities in the market for new growth and develop key strategic and execution initiatives.
- Research new business opportunities in the market as well as customer research, current problems, or issues and specific market trends.
- Engage with both internal and external stakeholders as well as the top management team
- Shape product roadmap and go-to-market strategies based on market feedback
Human Capital Responsibilities
- Setting-up and managing a team of business development managers
- Provide mentorship for the purpose of developing a continuous talent pipeline for key roles
- Identify training needs and coordinate with the HC department to ensure facilitation of training requirements
- Oversee the development and implementation of on the job-training
Disclaimer: This role description reflects the general details considered necessary to describe the principal responsibilities of the role identified and shall not be construed as an exhaustive description of all the work requirements inherent to success in the role.
Measure of Success – Illustrative KPIs
- Success will be measured based on growth & scaling IAM.AI towards profitability
- Landing no. of strategic partnerships across different domains
- Meeting financial targets that deliver on IAM.AI’s ambition
- Development & implementation of growth strategy beyond initial launch
- Gaining market share in the SuperApp space
- Launching IAMAI into new markets
- Setting and achieving sales targets across various partners within IAM.AI
Other Context (if applicable):
Personal Characteristics and Required Background:
Skillset (job specific technical skills and behavioral competencies needed)
- A hardworking “0 to 1 deal-maker” who has brought a number of impactful strategic deals to life from conception to execution.
- A strategic thinker who has an ability to negotiate and influence with a focus on execution.
- Proven track record of scaling tech startups in the region.
- A track record of working with product and engineering teams with strong product instincts and ability to identify opportunities to leverage our partner’s products and capabilities
- An understanding of product strategy and key requirements for scaling products and operations through partnerships, especially with a “users first” mentality
- Demonstrated experience negotiating product enablement or other partnership agreements, with a strong perspective on how partnerships can create value and differentiation
- Strong verbal and written communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills – including the ability to speak to different functional stakeholders such as legal, product, engineering, and sales internally and externally and multiple levels of managing, including experience working with C-level executives
- Highly entrepreneurial, creative, open-minded, and collaborative.
- An ability to manage and set client expectations.
- Demonstrate strong negotiation and networking skills.
- Strong financials/ budget management
- Ability to develop, review and negotiate complex contracts and familiarity with standard deal structures.
- Strong organization, prioritization, and project management skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to collaborate effectively across internal and external teams
- Ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships with clients
- Proven track record of leadership, coaching and mentoring
- Challenger mindset and passion to challenge status quo to find new solutions and drive out of the box ideas –loves and embraces change
- You value collaboration and are your best when part of a team.
- You are curious with a bias toward action and thrive in a fast-paced organization.
- English (Full professional proficiency – Required)
- Arabic is an advantage
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Engineering or related field
- Master’s Degree in the same field is preferred
- 10+ years of work experience, with 2+ years spent in business development, strategic partner management, or similar roles at a technology company
- Experience working in and scaling tech start-ups in the region is a plus
Signature of Job Holder:
Head of Division/Department/Sec:
[MA1]Not sure what was meant by this sentence, increasing adoption of the app is a marketing KPI. Would suggest making point 2 around identifying domains and subsequent partnerships that solve pain points for customers and tie in closely with the product vision