he Institutional and Solutions Legal Team provides advice and support to the EMEA Client Businesses, Client Portfolio Solutions business (including Outsourced Chief Investment Officer, Retail Wealth solutions and model portfolio advisory and distribution), Transition Management team and BlackRock Life Limited ((“BLL”) BlackRock’s captive life insurance vehicle for institutional clients), and also advises the firm on certain areas of corporate and commercial legal risk and regulatory change.
This role will be a senior individual contributor within a wider team of 7 lawyers supporting the entire spectrum of the team’s diverse breadth of coverage. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work with multiple client channels across BlackRock, including the ETF and Index Investing Business, Retail Business and Institutional Client Business, which collaborate with the Client Portfolio Solutions Business to deliver solutions to clients as well as working closely with colleagues in the Funds Legal team. The successful candidate will be expected to work with a degree of autonomy and, once familiar with BlackRock documentation and processes, to work with minimum levels of supervision. Whilst the “learning curve” will be steep, the candidate will be expected to take on a complete workload promptly after joining.
- Commission external legal advice where appropriate (e.g. specialist or overseas advice) on areas of law that impact client business and BLL driven work, ensuring quality advice is delivered.
- Liaise directly with members of Legal & Compliance across the globe and stakeholders within the firm, as well as external lawyers and consultants acting on behalf of clients.
- Advise on new law, regulation and policy changes and how BlackRock’s businesses, processes and documentation can best take account of this.
- Identify, address and manage legal and regulatory risk issues arising within the client businesses across the EMEA region.
- Negotiate legally complex advisory, asset allocation services, investment management and transition management agreements.
- Provide legal support and advice on certain commercial legal and regulatory areas, including MiFID analysis, outsourcing arrangements and fund distribution.
- At least 8 years’ relevant investment management or other financial services experience (gained either in private practice or the in-house legal team of a financial services organisation).
- Technical expertise and/or familiarity with regulatory issues including MiFID investment advice and inducements and similar regulations across EMEA. Technical expertise and/or familiarity with UCITS and AIF distribution and retail and wealth intermediary platforms would be helpful, although candidates with other applicable expertise and experience will be considered.
- Strong academic record.
- Ability to persuade and influence internal client base in the provision of advice and manage internal client base’s expectations.
- Demonstrates a commercial outlook, and is motivated and personable.
- Ability to identify and manage legal risk (even if little prior experience in the relevant area) and to develop a sound opinion on diverse legal and reputational matters.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to gather information and analyse data thoroughly.
- Assist with supporting the BLL Board and advising on BLL documentation and governance.
- Assist on the legal and regulatory aspects of new BlackRock product launches.
- Provide feedback to industry consultations in relation to new legislation and policy-making process (including education of / consultation with regulators).
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Birmingham, England, UK
Application Deadline: N/A