Best Buy is seeking a Director of Engineering Productivity where you will play a key role in shaping the future of Best Buy’s Engineering Productivity efforts. We are undergoing a massive transformation across people, processes, and technology in the technology teams here at Best Buy, and we are in the first year of a multi-year journey. There is a lot of opportunity to shape and influence, and you will be helping Best Buy do that.
- This position will be building and leading empowered teams that are responsible for creating products that support our customers, the engineers here at Best Buy, to be the best at what they do and provide them with self-service tools to meet their objectives as quickly and easily as possible.
- This position will focus on delivering solutions directly to engineering teams and partnering with them to learn what they need then building what will serve our engineering customers best. Significant effort will go towards our pipeline as a service offering, but there will be many other solutions needed based on the research you and your team will do.
- We embrace a culture of rapid experimentation and constantly strive for improvement and learning. You’ll work in a collaborative, trusting, thought-provoking, agile environment.
- One that encourages diversity of thought and passion for empowering teams by leading and mentoring others.
- You will leverage your rich industry experience to improve the way we develop and deliver software at scale, and partner with your stakeholders to deliver customer and business outcomes.
- Transforming teams from a project mindset towards a product minds
- Every day you will play a key role in shaping the future of how Best Buy is disrupting retail by empowering teams to deliver innovative and human-centered customer experiences.
- You’ll be required to apply your depth of knowledge and expertise to build and lead your teams through empowerment, engagement, and continuous improvement as we partner with our many stakeholders on a daily basis to stay aligned and focused on common goals.
- dentifying needed skills and capabilities needed on the team, and work to fill those roles by hiring and training an inclusive, diverse team
- Deeply understanding the value of, and the ability to, enable collaboration between designers, researchers, engineers, product managers, business owners, and executives
- Understanding funding mechanisms and managing budgets
- Excellent communication skills, especially when working with a distributed team
- Showing humility when others are right and having the confidence to admit mistakes
- Mentoring and delegating work to encourage the growth of those around you. Reviewing code and provide thoughtful, constructive feedback
- Bringing a passion to stay on top of tech trends, experimenting with and learning new technologies, participating in internal & external technology communities, and mentoring other members of the engineering community, specifically working within or introducing event driven architectures and streaming technologies
Qualification & Experience:
- 8 or more years of experience in the software engineering field and an engineering degree or equivalent relevant professional experience
- 8 or more years of experience in agile software delivery
- 2 or more years of increasing responsibility leading teams, and 1+ years managing managers
- Java, Groovy, REST, JSON
- Messaging frameworks like IBM MQ, Rabbit MQ, Kafka
- Familiarity with Cloud Infrastructure like AWS / GCP / Azure
- Relational and NoSQL databases like Oracle, MySQL, Cassandra, Cosmos, Cockroach DB, etc.
- OpenShift / Kubernetes / Docker
Company: Best Buy
Vacancy Type: Full-time
Job Functions: Engineering ,Information Technology
Job Location: St. Paul, MN, US
Application Deadline: N/A