The University of Wollongong in Dubai (UOWD) is one of the UAE’s oldest and most prestigious universities. Established in 1993 by the University of Wollongong in Australia – currently ranked amongst the leading universities in the world – UOW in Dubai represents a pioneering Australian initiative in the Gulf region.
The School of Humanities, Social Sciences, and Health (SHSSH) at the University of Wollongong in Dubai (UOWD) invites applications for a full time position in Media and Communications at the rank of Assistant/Associate Professor (Rank is dependent on experience and qualifications).
About the Program
The Bachelor of Communications & Media is a relatively new and dynamic program with four specializations: 1.) Digital & Social Media; 2.) Visual Communication Design; 3.) Global Screen Media; 4.) Marketing Communications & Advertising.
The BCM program focus is practice-based team work, and preparing students for careers in the media industry. The postgraduate program—Master of Media & Communications, has recently undergone significant restructuring in terms of content and focus in order to address the needs of students and professionals facing an ever-changing industry and innovative emerging media practices. Both programs are fully accredited by the Ministry of Education in U.A.E. and in Australia. We have a good relationship with the home campus and are now finding opportunities to collaborate globally with Australia and two other campuses. In addition, we moved to a brand new campus in January 2021 with the latest technology and classroom design for student centered learning. This position is a key hire and the candidate will have the opportunity to contribute to the development and ongoing growth of both BCM and MMC programs.
Requirements and Qualifications
The successful candidate will join the university in early September 2021, and will demonstrate strong evidence of exceptional work within digital media; and have a minimum of three years of professional experience alongside post-secondary teaching, digital media design practice and research (some possibilities could be made on a variation of teaching and professional experience). Candidates should be equally fluent in design discourse and studio practice and in balancing the conceptual, aesthetic and technical demands of the discipline.
- Digital media design principles, content creation, curation and aggregation
- Video design for digital/virtual environments, platform design & interaction, and human-centered design principles
- Game design, game media & game development; cyber cultures and story worlds/building
- must be committed to engage in teaching and research in the field of digital media and design, emerging technologies and the Media and Communication discipline
- must work effectively in interdisciplinary design teams on curriculum focusing on design thinking process and projects addressing cultural, socio/political, and sustainability issues
- should be comfortable teaching in a studio/lab setting, utilizing emerging technologies and tools, emphasizing creative practice, design, and experimental techniques/processes
- possess advanced proficiency with digital design software, programs and applications, such as Adobe Creative Suites, Unity, Maya, Unreal, among others
- Terminal degree (MFA/PhD) in Digital Media, Media Arts, Media & Communication, or related field.
- Four Years of Teaching Experience at Bachelor Level or above
- A portfolio of work demonstrating industry experience in digital content creation, production, curation, and aggregation, digital design, platform design, and user experience design
- Strong interest in working collaboratively across disciplines
- Strong commitment to a progressive emerging media arts education and a keen interest in industry developments
Background Check Required
Compensation & Benefits
The successful candidate will enjoy interaction with a professional dynamic team of highly respected educators from 35 different countries and exposure to students from over 120 nationalities.
The University offers an expatriate package which is an attractive tax free salary. The expatriate package includes six weeks of paid leave per year, private medical insurance for employee and eligible dependents, life and disability insurance and education allowance for dependents. The University is located in Knowledge Park, Dubai and has excellent teaching, learning and research facilities as well as a Library that meets international standards.